Model 1840 U.S. Flintlock Musket
Wood, iron, brass, steel, ivory
Overall: 54 1/4 in. ( 137.8 cm ) Part (barrel): 38 in. (96.5 cm)
stamped: center lockplate: "L.POMEROY"(below eagle woth shield breast and arrows in one talon, branch in other); tail of lockplate: "1842/U.S." stamped: side plate: "H.C. SHUMWAY"; buttplate tang: "US" printed: flint: "23"
Wood, iron, and brass flintlock musket; iron furniture; trumpet-head steel ramrod; stamped marks at center and tail of lockplate, and on buttplate tang and sideplate; ivory musket flint with number printed on top.
The Model 1840 was the last flintlock musket produced by U.S. national armories or by private contractors. By 1861, most serviceable flintlock muskets had been converted to percussion, and many of the altered guns were used by Union, Confederate, and National Guard regiments during the Civil War.
Gift of the 7th Regiment, National Guard New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.