Model 1816 U.S. Flintlock Musket
Wood, iron, steel
Overall: 57 7/8 in. ( 147 cm ) Part (barrel): 42 in. (106.7 cm)
stamped: forward of hammer on lockplate: "US/N.STARR" (sunburst between the two marks); tail: "MIDDTN/CONN/1832" (star below marks) stamped: barrel: "H&P" and "1861" stamped: bandsprings: "GG" stamped: buttplate tang: "US" engraved: barrel: "N"
Wood and iron percussion musket; iron furniture; bolster-type conversion to percussion system; button-head steel ramrod; stamped marks forward of hammer and at tail of lockplate, barrel, band retaining springs, and tang of buttplate; engraved mark on barrel.
The Model 1816 flintlock musket was the standard arm of American infantrymen from 1816 until 1840. Manufactured by Connecticut gunmaker Nathan Starr, this musket was converted to percussion in 1861 by the Newark firm Hewes & Phillips, probably under a federal or state Civil War military contract.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.