Model 1816 U.S. Flintlock Musket
Wood, iron, brass, steel, leather
Overall: 58 in. ( 147.3 cm ) Part (barrel): 42 1/8 in. (107 cm)
stamped: center of lockplate: "US" (eagle above mark) stamped: tail of lockplate: "SPRING/FIELD/1831" stamped: buttplate tang: "US" stamped: bayonet face: "US" stamped: bayonet socket: "F 39" stamped: forward band: "G 93" (probably inspector's mark)
Wood, iron, and brass percussion musket; bolster-type conversion to percussion system; iron furniture; button-head steel ramrod; stamped marks at center and tail of lockplate and on tang of buttplate; has angular iron bayonet (1960.57b) with beak point, full face flute, and deep back flutes; stamped marks on face and socket of bayonet; triangular leather bayonet scabbard and leather sling for musket.
The Model 1816 flintlock musket was the primary arm of U.S. infantrymen from 1816 until 1840. Most bolster-type alterations to percussion were performed by private contractors from the mid-1850's until the early years of the Civil War, and many of the converted flintlocks were used during the war by Union, Confederate, and state forces. According to accession records, this musket was used by Jeremiah Butler, a member of the New York State Veteran Volunteers who fought at Gettysburg in 1863.
Gift of Ms. Alma C. Butler and Mr. Charles T. Butler
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.