Model 1757 Marine Militia Musket
Wood, iron, brass
Overall: 58 in. ( 147.3 cm ) Part (barrel): 41 7/8 in. (106.4 cm)
stamped: lockplate center: "GR" (below crown; Hanoverian cypher); tail: "TOWER" (Tower of London armory) stamped: breech barrel: "GR" (crown above mark and arrow below it; Royal Armory proof); also crown above two crossed scepters. incised: left butt st
Wood, iron, and brass flintlock musket; brass furniture; stamped marks at center and tail of lockplate; stamped proofs at breech end of barrel; incised letters on left side of butt stock.
After its emergence during the 1720's as the first official royal military firearm, the Brown Bess became the standard infantry musket used by British forces during every conflict of the next century, until its replacement by the percussion musket during the 1830's. According to accession records, this musket was surrendered by a British soldier after the Battle of Saratoga in 1777, and was bought afterwards by the donors' great-great grandfather, Captain Joseph Teel.
Gift of Ms. Irene M. and Emily Braman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.