Mitchell Lighthouse, Sands Point, Long Island, New York
Watercolor, graphite, and black ink on paper laid on heavier paper
Overall: 5 3/4 x 9 1/4 in. ( 14.6 x 23.5 cm )
inscriptions: lower right: "7. Delineated by Inderwick in 1811" inscription: upper right: "7. Inderwichs drawing of Mitchell Light-house inscription: lower left: "Built by Gelston in 1809" inscription: verso, pencil: "Portfolio of Isaacher Cozzens...Dr
Inscribed at lower left below image in graphite: "Built by Gelston in 1809."; inscribed and signed at lower right below image: "Delineated by Inderwick in 1811"; label attached above image in brown ink: "7. Inderwicks drawing of Mitchill Light-house"
Inderwick's watercolor of the Mitchell Lightbouse appears on a list of prints, maps, and drawings formerly in the collection of Dr. Samuel Latham Mitchell (1764-1831), some of which were removed by Isaacher Cozzens from the cellar of the New York Almshouse in City Hall Park, New York City, earlier in the century and which he presented to the Society at some unspecified year in the 1860s. Mitchell, born at New Hampstead, Long Island, was one of the founders of the New-York Historical Society.
Gift of Isaacher Cozzens
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.