Miniature tea service
Teapot: 1 3/4 x 2 1/8 x 7/8 in. (4.4 x 5.4 x 2.2 cm) Silver Weight: 7.1 dwt (11 g) Silver Weight: 1.9 dwt (3 g) Silve
stamped: on the bases of the holloware: an anchor in a rectangle, a lion passant in a chamfered rectangle, "g" in a rectangle "C S & FS" in three conjoined ovals, and "Y"
Silver miniature tea service including a teapot, kettle-on-stand, creamer, sugar bowl, tray and two spoons; each piece of hollowware has an oval body with gadrooning around the lower half; kettle and teapot have concave shoulders, domed lids with gadrooning around the top and ball finials; all but the kettle, which has a bail handle, have squared strap handles; wooden base tray has galleried sides with ball feet and loop handles; two spoons with down-turned double-swell fiddle handles with a long mid-rib, chamfered shoulders and pointed elliptical bowls, handles engraved, "C K" in script; maker's marks stamped on the hollowware.
Silver toys-accurate reproductions in miniature of full-size wares-were sold as charming novelties for adults and as instructive playthings for children of wealth. This particular tea set is of dollhouse proportions rather than child-sized and thus was probably enjoyed as a novelty. The venerable London jewelry firm of Saunders & Shepherd, well known for their silver miniatures, produced large numbers of silver toys during the Edwardian era, when the collecting of genuine eighteenth-century miniatures was fashionable. This set was purchased during the 1920s by the folk art collectors Elie Nadelman (1882-1946) and his wife, Viola Flannery (1878-1962), and was probably displayed in their Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts, opened in 1926 on the grounds of the couple's estate in Riverdale, New York. Well known as an avant-garde sculptor, the Polish-born Nadelman was a pioneering connoisseur of American and European folk art. His vast collection, assembled with his wife in just one decade, was purchased by the New-York Historical Society in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Collected by Elie (1882-1946) and Viola Flannery Nadelman (1878-1962), probably during 1920s, for their Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts, Riverdale, N.Y.; purchased along with the bulk of the Nadelman Folk Art Collection, 1937.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.