The Mill Rock, East River, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper laid on heavier paper
Overall: 20 7/8 x 30 15/16 in. ( 53 x 78.6 cm )
inscriptions: lower center, ink: "The Mill Rock"
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "The Mill Rock"
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore, on Mill Rock in the East River, and a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan Island. Construction of the American blockhouse on Mill Rock in the East Rive at Hell Gate commenced on July 15, 1814. It was later provided with a cannon.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.