Mill Rock and Hell Gate from Fort Stevens, Long Island, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite with touches of gouache on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.16)
Overall: 12 5/16 x 30 3/4 in. (31.3 x 78.1 cm)
inscription: upper center, ink: "Mill Rock and Hell Gate from Fort Stevens"
Inscribed above image in brown ink: "Mill Rock and Hell Gate from Fort Stevens."
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected at Hallett's Point on the Long Island shore, on Mill Rock in the East River, and a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were constructed across upper Manhattan Island. This is a view taken from the interior of Fort Stevens, looking west across Hell Gate and the East River with the blockhouse on Mill Rock in the distance.
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.