Overall: 4 1/2 x 4 x 2 7/8 in. ( 11.4 x 10.2 x 7.3 cm ) Silver Weight: 3 oz (troy) 19 dwt (123 g)
engraved: center front: "C. K. T." in gothic script, erased engraved: on base: "C/ T * S" in block letters stamped: on base: "MM" conjoined, in a rectangle
Raised silver milk pot; pear-shaped body with a serrated rim and an extended, triangular pouring lip; on three applied, cast cabriole legs with trefoil junctures and pad feet; double-scroll, strap handle, upper juncture at rim with a rounded drop inside; midrib on top of handle to slight grip, scroll terminal; engraved, and later removed, center front, "C. K. T." in gothic script; engraved on base, "C/ T *S" in block letters; maker's mark on base.
Americans followed the English habit of taking milk with their tea, a custom established by the 1720s. Silver milk pots were imported from England and sold by numerous jewelers and merchants in New York, providing local craftsmen with stylish models for their own wares. Silversmiths like Myer Myers sold large numbers of milk pots; at least fifteen examples marked by Myers are extant. The design of this milk pot would have harmonized with the mahogany tilt-top tables fashionable at the time for serving tea: the pot's cabriole legs and scalloped rim echo the tripod base and pie-crust border of high-end tea tables of the era.
Original owners unknown; owned by Charles Keating Tuckerman (1827-1896), who married Mary Gracie Fleming (b. 1837); to their son Fleming Tuckerman (1858-1923), who married Edith Adele Cozzens (1871-1949); to their son Arthur Tuckerman (1896-1955), who married Elise Strother (1900-1983). Purchased from Mrs. Arthur Tuckerman, 1957.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.