Military buttons (6) excavated in New York City
Overall: 3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm )
Pewter military buttons.
These buttons were excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The buttons were worn by soldiers camped near the fort; four (Nos. 10-13) belonged to British soldiers; two (14-15) were probably worn by Hessian soldiers.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.