Military buttons (39)
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
stamped: front: "44" (44th British Regt.)
Pewter buttons; regiment number stamped in center, below crown.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. They were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics (case 3, Nos. 204, 210, 212) in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th St. and Edgecomb Ave. Their solid pewter make indicates that they are privates' buttons. The 23rd Regiment was captured at Yorktown in 1781.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.