Military button excavated at West Point
Overall: 3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm )
stamped: (261), front of button: "USA" (Continental Army)
Pewter button excavated at West Point; disk-shaped; with roped border design the emblem of its corps inscribed in the center.
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit near an early nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of barracks and redoubts in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish American control of the Hudson River, and to protect the Hudson Highlands from attack by the British Army in New York City. Continental Army buttons are not known to have been in use after the Revolutionary War.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.