Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
stamped: front: "44" (44th British Regt.)
Pewter military button; stamped regiment number below crown.
This button was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp at 201st Street and Ninth Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British soldiers who were guarding the landing area for a ferry that crossed the Harlem River from the Bronx to Manhattan.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.