Overall: 42 x 19 x 15 in. ( 106.7 x 48.3 x 38.1 cm )
carved: in face of stone: "5/Miles/FROM/City Hall/New York"
Rectangular marble milemarker with rounded top and carved inscription: "5 Miles FROM City Hall New York"
Milestones performed an essential service for travelers in early America. The earliest milestones in Manhattan were placed along the west side of the Post Road leading from New York to Kingsbridge in 1769. This milestone, from the series of 1822-1823, was installed at Third Avenue and 77th Street. Marble cutter Francis Kain (ca. 1786-1844), who had a marble yard at 359 Greenwich Street, supplied and cut the stones for this series.
Gift of Consolidated Gas Co. of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.