Overall: 39 1/2 x 15 x 10 in. ( 100.3 x 38.1 x 25.4 cm )
carved on front; "7/ Miles/ From/ City Hall/ New York"
Rectangular marble milestone with rounded top and carved inscription: "7/Miles/FROM/City Hall/New York."
This milestone was originally located on the west side of Third Avenue between 116th and 117th streets in Manhattan. It remained in place until 1927, when it was broken by a truck and left unnoticed on the sidewalk for three months. A resident of the block, N. Salinitro, notified the Society and the stone was brought in for preservation.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.