Overall: 42 x 15 x 5 1/2 in. ( 106.7 x 38.1 x 14 cm )
carved: "10/ miles/ from/ N.York"
Rectangular marble milestone with rounded top and carved inscription: "10/Miles/from/N. York."
The completion in 1812 of the new City Hall necessitated a resetting of milestones if their locations were to be kept in true conformity from a point of origin at the center of municipal government. This milestone stood on Kingsbridge Road (now Broadway) at or near West 170th Street.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.