Overall: 5 1/2 x 2 7/8 x 1 7/8 in. ( 14 x 7.3 x 4.8 cm )
pressed: on side of bottle: "FROM THE/LABORATORY" pressed: on front of bottle: "OF/G.W. MERCHANT/CHEMIST" pressed: on side of bottle: "LOCKPORT/N.Y."
Aquamarine glass medicine bottle blown in a two-part mold, with down-tooled lip, cylindrical neck, sloped down shoulder, rectangular body with flat chamfers, and lengthwise inscription "FROM THE LABORATORY OF G.W. MERCHANT CHEMIST LOCKPORT N.Y."; oval-shaped, shallow concave basal profile.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.