diameter: 2 in. ( 5.1 cm )
Inscription: obverse, at lower center: "DOWLER BIRM."
Pewter struck medal with obverse showing exhibition pavilion building with legend above: "BUILDING FOR THE EXHIBITION OF THE INDUSTRY OF THE NATION"; in exergue: "NEW YORK/MDCCCLIII." Reverse bears inscription surrounded by laurel and oak wreath: "THE/FIRST PILLAR/WAS ERECTED/OCTOBER 30TH/ -- 1852 --/OPENED/MAY 2ND/1853./MESSRS. CARSTENSEN & GILDEMIESTER/ARCHITECTS."
Gift of Miss Elizabeth D. Embler
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.