Medal: 275th anniversary of Staten Island
diameter: 1 1/4 in. ( 3.2 cm )
Inscription: obverse, at lower center of field: "WHITEHEAD & HOAG"
Bronze struck medal with obverse showing landscape with wooden log cabin; inscriptions: "OUDE DORP/1661/FIRST PERMANENT/SETTLEMENT"; legend around border: "275TH ANNIVERSARY OF STATEN ISLAND/OCT. 18-25, 1936." Reverse shows two-storey building with gable roof with inscrptions: "BUILT 1679/CONFERENCE/SEPT. 11, 1776 [in exergue]"; legend around border: "BILLOPP . CONFERENCE . HOUSE/FRANKLIN . ADAMS . RUTLEDGE . HOWE."
This medal commemorates the first settlement on Staten Island in 1661. In 1675, English naval officer Christopher Billopp was granted 527 hectares on Staten Island; land that was later named after him. Billopp built the "conference house" noted in the exergue of the medal as his residence several years later.
Gift of Loring B. McMillen
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.