Overall: 12 x 2 5/8 in. ( 30.5 x 6.7 cm )
Iron mattock; axe blade connected with curved collar to rectangular handle.
This mattock was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The mattock was probably used by soldiers for digging trenches or pits.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.