Marine officer's sword and scabbard
Steel, brass, ivory, textile, gilding; white metal, brass, gilding
Overall: 39 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 1 1/8 in. ( 100.3 x 14 x 2.9 cm )
etched: on obverse of blade: "US / Marin[es]" etched: on reverse of blade: "F. W. / Widmann / Philadelphia"
Sword with slightly curved, single-edged steel blade with a broad fuller that appears to bifurcate about 13 inches from the point of the blade and etched insignia and ornamental motifs on obverse and reverse; grips composed of two ivory plaques shaped in the Mameluke pattern and fastened on either side of a brass frame which holds the tang of the blade and forms a band between them; two rivets with star-shaped brass heads pass through the ivory plaques and the tang, holding plaques and blade together; pommel is pierced, with gold cord with tassel threaded through hole, which is lined with brass; cross quillons, which terminate in acorn finials, are cast in one piece with ears and langets; brass parts of hilt retain traces of gilding; white metal scabbard with gilded brass mounts consisting of a plain band at throat, upper and middle bands, each with one carrying ring, and drag with flower and leaves molded on either side.
According to the accession records, this sword belonged to the donor's father, Colonel Matthew R. Kintzing (1822-1893). Kintzing was appointed to the U.S. Marine Corps and commissioned 2nd lieutenant in 1841; he was commissioned colonel on December 5, 1867.
Bequest of Miss Mary E. Kintzing
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.