Overall: 6 1/8 x 6 7/8 in. ( 15.6 x 17.5 cm )
chased: below the rim: "To/ Edward/ Watkins/ Lawson/ upon the completion of/ twelve years of valued/ service as Superitendent,/ from the Officers and Directors/ of the Riverside & Fort Lee/ Ferry Company/ April 15th.. 1901." engraved: on the engraved fer
Wrought silver presentation loving cup; squat, circular lower body, curved under to a circular foot, tapering at the center and flaring out to a plain rim; three cast s-scroll handles applied to the body with three curled joints at the tops; chased low relief design of three steam ferries, "Fort Lee," "City of Englewood," and the "George Washington" on the Hudson around the lower body; low relief inscription outlined by a rope below the rim, "To/ Edward/ Watkins/ Lawson/ upon the completion of/ twelve years of valued/ service as Superintendent,/ from the Officers and Directors/ of the Riverside & Fort Lee/ Ferry Company/ April 15th.. 1901.;" gilt interior; makers' marks stamped on the base.
This loving cup was presented to the donor's father, Edward Watkins Lawson, by the Officers and Directors of the Riverside and Fort Lee Ferry Company upon his retirement as Superintendent. The Riverside and Fort Lee Ferry Company operated from 1888 to 1943 between 125th Street in Manhattan and Edgewater, N.J.
Gift of Edward Westervelt Lawson
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.