Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Linch pin excavated at Fort Ticonderoga

Object Number: 
INV.5778.10
Date: 
1750-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 8 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 3/4 in. ( 22.2 x 3.8 x 1.9 cm )
Description: 
Iron linch pin for artillery excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; rectangular iron bar with arrow mark at head.
Gallery Label: 
This linch pin was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne in June, 1777. The linch pin was a locking mechanism for artillery pieces, and the arrow indicates British Government ownership.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group