Overall: 8 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 1/2 in. ( 22.2 x 3.8 x 1.3 cm )
stamped: (256), front of head: "US"
Iron linch pin excavated at West Point; rectangular bar with roughly oval head; head decorated with heart; inscription inside heart.
This linch pin was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from the refuse dump of the Revolutionary War barracks at West Point, a series of barracks and forts in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish American control of the Hudson River, and to guard the Hudson Highlands from attack by the British Army in New York City. The inscription indicates Continental Congress ownership.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.