Lead sheaths for gunflints (3) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 1 1/8 x 7/8 in. ( 2.9 x 2.2 cm )
Lead sheaths for gunflints excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; flat sheets folded over.
These sheaths were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Sheathing gunflints with lead was a common practice among American forces, and was probably adopted to a small degree by British or Hessian forces.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.