This numeral was found in February, 1893 inside the hulk of a buried vessel during digging for a power house on the cable road at Front Street, between Broad and Whitehall Streets in lower Manhattan. The ship was probably sunk as ballast for landfill sometime between 1770 and 1820. The large numeral was possibly part of a sign for a ship or a building.
Gift of John D. Crimmins, 1893
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024