Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Lead pencils (4) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.38-41
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Lead
Dimensions: 
largest: 6 x 1/4 in. ( 15.2 x 0.6 cm )
Description: 
Lead pencils; thin rectangular or cylindrical strips.
Gallery Label: 
These pencils were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a trench near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group