Lead pencil excavated at West Point
Overall: 1 7/8 x 1/8 in. ( 4.8 x 0.3 cm )
Lead pencil excavated at West Point; narrow, rectangular strip.
This pencil was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at West Point, a series of barracks and forts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish control of the Hudson River. Soldiers fashioned the pencil from musket ball lead.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.