Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Lead fragments (4) excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
INV.6200.245-248
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Lead
Dimensions: 
largest: 3 1/4 x 3/8 in. ( 8.3 x 1 cm )
Description: 
Lead fragments; two cylindrical and two roughly rectangular strips; the end of one has been twisted into a corkscrew.
Gallery Label: 
These fragments were excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit in a moat outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. Two fragments (Nos. 245-6) were probably used as pencils.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group