Lead fragments (2) excavated at West Point
largest: 1 5/8 x 1/4 x 1/8 in. ( 4.1 x 0.6 x 0.3 cm )
Lead fragments excavated at West Point; one fragment is flat and rectangular; the other is a musket ball with four flat edges.
These fragments were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at West Point, a series of barracks and forts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish control of the Hudson River. Soldiers fashioned the fragments from musket ball lead. The flattened ball was possibly used as a dice or other gaming piece.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.