These fragments were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military hut at 182nd Street between Fort Washington and Bennett Avenues. The hut was built sometime after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and was probably occupied by officers of the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024