Lead fragments (2) excavated at Fort Crown Point
largest: 2 x 1 in. ( 5.1 x 2.5 cm )
Lead fragments excavated at Fort Crown Point, a fort at Lake Champlain in New York; flat fragments; one has been folded over.
These fragments were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on August 26, 1934 at Fort Crown Point, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French and called Fort St. Frederic, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of its capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Crown Point, the fort was captured on May 11, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, garrisoned with American troops, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne. The fragments were used as sheaths for gunflints.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.