Lead fragment excavated at West Point; small, flat Y-shaped strip.
This fragment was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from Redoubt Number Four at West Point, a series of barracks and forts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish control of the Hudson River. The fragment was possibly used as a pencil.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024