Latham Mansion, Cherry Street, New York City

Object Number: 
1907.35
Date: 
1878
Medium: 
Black ink and wash with scratching out and touches of white gouache on paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 12 3/8 x 8 3/4 in. ( 31.4 x 22.2 cm ) mat: 14 x 10 in. ( 35.6 x 25.4 cm )
Marks: 
inscriptions: Signed and dated, lower right: L.Oram 76; title across bottom: Latham Mansion/built 1702
Inscriptions: 
Signed and inscribed and signed at lower left inside image in black ink: "L. ORAM. '78"; at lower center outside image: "LATHAM MANSION. / BUILT 1702."; below in graphite: "New York"
Gallery Label: 
The Latham mansion, one of New York's colonial landmarks, was formerly located at 40-42 Cherry Street, above Franklin Square and just south of its intersection with Roosevelt Street (both streets have been obliterated in this vicinity). The two houses, no. 40 at the left and no. 42 at the right, were originally one structure occupied by the Latham family, shipbuilders and local landowners, from 1702 to 1809. British officers were billeted in the house during the American Revolution.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Daniel Parish, Jr.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group