Lard lamps (Kinnear type)
Tin, iron, brass
Overall: 8 1/2 × 5 3/8 in. (21.6 × 13.7 cm)
on brass plaque: " S.N. & H.C. UFFORD/ 113 COURT ST. / BOSTON / KINNEARS PATENT / FEB 4, 1851"
One of a pair of tin lamps with compressed barrel shaped reservoirs with brass plaques and screw cap on tin cylindrical shafts supported by cast iron funnel shaped feet with pierced motifs: a) geometric lattice work and b) row of elongated tear drops and band of quatrefoil. Tops have wide slots for a flat wick, a small wick tube at one side for a night light, and a fuel orifice with a brass screw-on lid. Loop sockets at both sides for wire brackets to hold missing shade
Patented by Delmar Kinnear, Circleville, Ohio, Feb. 4, 1851. The small wick provides additional heat to prevent the lard from solidifying. This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.