Knife blade excavated at Fort Ticonderoga

Object Number: 
INV.5778.5
Date: 
1750-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/4 x 3/4 in. ( 15.9 x 1.9 cm )
Description: 
Iron knife blade excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; mark of crown stamped on blade.
Gallery Label: 
This knife blade was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, the fort was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under the command of Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne's army in June, 1777. The mark is probably a maker's mark.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group