Overall: 10 1/2 x 1 x 5/8 in. ( 26.7 x 2.5 x 1.6 cm )
Iron and bone knife excavated at West Point; large single-edged, curving blade; bone grips on handle have engraved diamond pattern.
This knife was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit near the nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of barracks and redoubts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to control the Hudson River, and to guard the Hudson Highlands from an attack by the British Army stationed in New York City.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.