Knee-breech buckles (3) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 1 x 5/8 x 1/8 in. ( 2.5 x 1.6 x 0.3 cm )
Iron knee-breech buckles excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; rectangular frames with tongues.
These buckles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. They were stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.