Kip's Bay, East River, New York City
Brown ink and wash and graphite on paper
Overall: 6 3/8 x 9 in. ( 16.2 x 22.9 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
inscription: lower center: "Kip's Bay and the East River from the Heights of Inclenberg./A. and N. Brown's Ship Yard in the middle distance./The large building was erected for the purpose of sheltering ships while on the stocks./The first vessel built ben
Inscribed below image in black ink: "KIP'S BAY AND THE EAST RIVER FROM THE HEIGHTS of INCLENBERG. / A. AND N. BROWN'S SHIP YARD IN THE MIDDLE DISTANCE / The large building was erected for the purpose of sheltering ships while on the stocks. / The first vessel built it was a ship of five hundred tons, called the America. / Newtown Creek is on the left, and the Heights of Bedford in the distance."
This nineteenth-century view looks south from the Kip's Bay area, where British forces landed on Manhattan Island on September 15, 1776. Adam and Noah Brown started a shipbuilding business in 1804 by taking a subcontract from Thomas Vail, who had a yard at the foot of Montgmery Street. The Browns later established their own yard, depicted in this view, on the East River shore north of Corlaers Hook between Stanton and East Third streets.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.