Overall: 1 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 1/2 in. ( 4.4 x 7 x 1.3 cm )
Salt-glazed stoneware kiln prop with areas of cobalt splashes; arched shape.
After stoneware vessels were formed, marked, and decorated, they were carefully stacked in the firing kiln. In order to keep the vessels from fusing together, potters placed stoneware props, made simply of wads of stoneware clay, between the pots. This prop was found by the donor around 1958 during an excavation on the east edge of City Hall Park, near the former site of the Crolius pottery.
Gift of Mr. John Paul Remensnyder
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024