Key excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 3 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 1/4 in. ( 8.9 x 3.2 x 0.6 cm )
Iron key excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; cylindrical shaft with circular finger grip; two tabs at right angle to shaft at opposite end.
This key was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. The key was possibly used to open boxes of military supplies, or to open dispatch boxes that contained orders and correspondence. It also may have been a door key.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.