Stoneware, cobalt oxide, cork
Overall: 12 x 7 1/2 in. ( 30.5 x 19 cm )
stenciled: on front: "R. H. MACY & CO. / NEW YORK"
Salt-glazed stoneware corked jug with a half-dipped brown glaze and cobalt blue stenciled retailer's mark.
During the second half of the nineteenth century and into the early twentieth century, stoneware manufacturers commonly supplied local businesses with vessels designed for their products and marked with the retailer's name. Druggists, grocers, brewers, and ink suppliers ordered containers simply marked with their name, location, and sometimes a word describing the contents. Rowland Hussey Macy, Sr. moved to New York City in 1858 and established "R.H. Macy Dry Goods" located at 204-206 Sixth Avenue on the corner of 14th Street, significantly north of other dry goods stores of the time. As the business grew it expanded to include other nearby buildings.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.