John Butler Snook (1815-1901)
Oil on canvas
Overall: 30 x 25 1/4 in. ( 76.2 x 64.1 cm )
The subject, a native of London, was brought to New York as a child. In 1842 he joined Joseph Tench as an architect, and after 1887 was associated with his sons in business. Snook was architect of A. T. Stewart's department store (1846), Niblo's Garden Theatre, the Metropolitan Hotel, Grand Central Depot (1871-72), All Angel's Church (1886), and the Vanderbilt mansions on Fifth Avenue between 51st and 52nd streets. The Society owns many documents and drawings related to his practice.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.