Jew's harp excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/2 x 1 x 1/4 in. ( 6.4 x 2.5 x 0.6 cm )
Iron Jew's harp excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; lyre-shaped, with circular body and two arms extending from it.
This Jew's harp was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Jew's harps were small instruments that were held between the lips, and produced tones when a metal strip was tapped with a finger. It was carried by a soldier in the camp.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.