Overall: 9 5/8 x 8 1/2 in. ( 24.4 x 21.6 cm )
incised in script: on opposite sides: "SUSAN" and "WEST"
Wheel-thrown redware bulbous jar with two applied handles under a flared, indented, rounded rim, with two incised bands under rim which serve as guides for inscription; with several iron brown splotches under a lead glaze.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.