Jacknife excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp

Object Number: 
INV.6142.1
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3 3/4 x 1 1/2 in. ( 9.5 x 3.8 cm )
Description: 
Iron jacknife; blade which pivots on hinge and folds into handle.
Gallery Label: 
This jacknife was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a Revolutionary War sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine British and Hessian soldiers infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights. The knife probably belonged to a soldier in the camp.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group