Iron socket excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.415
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. ( 6.4 x 8.9 cm )
Description: 
Iron socket; large hollow square with two large circular holes at opposite ends.
Gallery Label: 
This socket was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The socket was probably used with an artillery caisson, a two-wheeled vehicle that contained artillery ammunition.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group