Iron musket worm fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 1/4 x 1 in. ( 3.2 x 2.5 cm )
Iron musket worm fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; small corkscrew attached to circular base; small hole in base.
This object was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Musket worms were attached to screwdrivers and used to clean and repair muskets. Soldiers would attach cloth to the worm, and use the cloth to clean the inside of their weapons.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.