Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Iron arrow excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.190
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 5/8 x 9 in. ( 4.1 x 22.9 cm )
Description: 
Iron arrow; pierced with two holes.
Gallery Label: 
This arrow was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The arrow was probably part of a sign.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group