Ink bottle w/label: Morris B.Powell Drugist and Chemist
Overall: 6 x 3 1/4 in. ( 15.2 x 8.3 cm )
in relief (lengthwise): on three contiguous sides: "HARRISON'S / COLUMBIAN / INK" printed paper label: affixed to obverse: "MORRIS B. POWELL, / DRUGGIST & CHEMIST, / Naperville, Ill. / Physician's Prescriptions Carefully Prepared." in relief: on shoulde
Aquamarine glass ink bottle blown in a three-part mold with wide flange lip, cylindrical neck, short nearly flat shoulder, twelve-sided body with inscription "HARRISON'S COLUMBIAN INK" and paper label, and slight circular depression and pontil mark on base.
The entry "Apollos W. Harrison, books, maps, and inks" first appears in the Philadelphia city directory in 1847. By 1877 only his residence address is given, suggesting that by then he had retired. (See McKearin and Wilson, "American Bottles & Flasks and Their Ancestry," p. 267.)
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.